Friday, May 21, 2010

A Poem on Devotion

At The End of It All
Molly Ackerman

I won’t allow the ocean’s waves to make my canoe capsize.
I won’t flinch at the sight of a vicious tornado staring into my eyes.
The biggest, most powerful wind wouldn’t dare make me fall.
Because I know that serenity stands at the end of it all.

I would walk through every country, unarmed with thoughts to share.
I would come face to face with evil and plead with them to care.
One hundred bullets would miss my flesh by an amount so small.
Because I know that peace stands at the end of it all.

I would be shunned by an entire nation, if only I could say,
That if we work together, there will be a brighter day.
As fingers release their grip on a bomb, I will refuse to stall
Because I know that hope stands at the end of it all.




Analysis of The Poem
Molly Ackerman

This poem illustrates devotion to an idea, rather than the typical subject of devotion, a person. The narrator is expressing their devotion in such a severe and sincere manner, that they are suggesting that disasters as natural as the “ocean’s waves” will not stand in their way. In each stanza, the avoided situations, whether they are natural disasters, humiliation, or evil, are contrasted by the reward that will be received upon their destruction. This contrast contributes to the emphasis that is placed on the achievement of goals. The narrator has an extremely devoted attitude toward positive things such as comfort, peace, and hope. However, the fact that they are large-scale world goals makes the devotion seem absolutely crucial.

No comments:

Post a Comment